Thursday 13 August 2009

Book Worm

Having ploughed my way through the 14 books I got for Christmas (and a couple more I'd picked up along the way) I desperately needed to replenish my reading stock. I received regular mail from Bookpeople and upon seeing their summer sale decided to place an order.

Now I am all for quaility over quantity but was over the moon to scoop 19 paperbacks for a few pence over £25! Since Christmas I have been reading mainly biographies and decided this time to opt for some fiction. Amongst my haul is 10 tartan noir books by Fife-born crime writer Ian Rankin, WW1 trilogy by Pat Barker and Alice Walker's (The Color Purple) first novel.

The others I know nothing about apart from reading the small 2 line synopsis. The first I have chosen to read is entitled 'The Luminous Life Of Lilly Aphrodite' by Beatrice Colin. the back cover reads:
" Decadent, tantilizing Berlin in a Germany torn apart by war at the turn of the twentieth century...
The illegitimate, orphaned daughter of a cabaret dancer, Lilly Nelly Aphrodite's early life -and that of her friend Hanne- is one of reinvention. Transformed from maid to war bride via tingle tangle nightclub girl, she lands in the heart of the glamourous motion picture world and quickly becomes one of Germany's leading silent film stars"
The book reads more addictively than this synopisis..the style is really gripping.

15th August sees the beginning of Edinburgh International Book Festival..I'm hoping to get along for the day.

3 comments:

Samsara said...

Lou! Sweetie! Don't spend so much on books - swap the ones you've read for ones you haven't, all for the price of postage! I'm a member of www.readitswapit.co.uk and I have a huge pile of books waiting to be read - it's a fantastic site, you swap books you don't want for books you do! It's environmentally friendly too - recycling and all that jazz :)

Liz's Knitting said...

Fantastic bargain!!! Sounds like you've got some good reads!

Heather said...

Wow, you got quite a bargain there! I love the Book People too :)